With the changing of the seasons upon us, how to dress for different types of weather with psoriasis is at the top of my mind. Many people anticipate the changing of the seasons with joy, invigoration and even fulfillment. But those of us with psoriasis may dread the changing of the seasons because we are unsure of how it will affect our skin.
Along with that fear comes many questions such as:
- How am I going to dress today?
- What really is the best fabric to wear in the fall so I don’t feel like I’m just covering up my spots?
- What light fabrics can I wear in the summer if I don’t want to wear shorts?
- How can I transition from office to happy hour without packing another bag?
There are so many options out there that we should have a hard time choosing the best things to wear that also make us feel great. And yes it’s possible to feel great while still managing your psoriasis.
Here are my tips for dressing for different types of weather with psoriasis:
SUMMER & SPRING
Just because it’s hot outside, does not mean you have to wear shorts. If you’re having a really bad flare up, there are many different options to choose from.
- Light, airy fabrics like these harem pants. This light fabric allows air to still circulate throughout your body giving your spots a chance to still breathe when the temperature gets a little hot.
- Maxi dresses are my lifesavers in the summer and spring when you’re experiencing a flare up. Here are a few good options. Even though you may be feeling a little down about some flare ups, these fun dresses will definitely find you with a smile on your face.
- Hi-low dresses. These are another great option if you’re flare ups are not that bad and are only on the back of the legs or stomach area, these area a great choice. Or if you’re feeling brave, don one of these beauties and your confidence will outshine any flare ups.
- Rompers. These are a go-to favorite! They are so versatile and you don’t have to think about a shirt and pants. You have your choice of long pants, shorts with sleeves, and even elegant options for any cocktail attire events you have on the calendar. viThrow on one of these and you’re good to go for errands, a BBQ, happy hour or even date night.
- Viscose shirts. Viscose is an extremely light fabric that allows your skin to breathe. It’s also incredibly versatile. You can pair it with your favorite jeans, a blazer, or even a crisp white shirt and head to the boardroom. I’ve noted some good styles here and here.
FALL & WINTER
- Trench Coats.Whether it’s to throw on over your floral dress or keep on hand for cool nights, a trench coat will be your friend this summer. Try this satin trench or this lightweight linen trench coat for your next summer outing. You can also check out the best trench coats to get you started.
- Harem pants are another great option here. See above.
- Leggings. Yes I said it. Leggings aren’t just for pregnant women. There are so many great options now. Like any of these printed leggings, theseJeggings or even these black ones. You can never go wrong with black leggings. Throw on some knee high boots, a long tunic dress and you’ll wonder why you ever wore those jeans in the first place.
- Wide leg trousers. It’s a good thing the 70s style is back because you can get away with wearing these and still look fabulous while managing your psoriasis.
- Viscose fabrics. See note above.
No matter the weather, you can still look and feel fabulous by making some easy (and fun!) wardrobe choices.
What are some of your go-to fabrics when it comes to dressing for different types of weather with psoriasis? Share your comments below, we’d love to hear!